This is a unique, interesting and fast-paced role that covers a wide range of topics from small business to politics and retail to events, covering all aspects of communication.
The role will work with the Communications Director to help manage all communications, internal and external, and maintain and develop the reputation of Theo Paphitis and Theo Paphitis Retail Group (TPRG), comprising Ryman, Robert Dyas, Boux Avenue and London Graphic Centre.
A passionate knowledge of current affairs and politics is a must in this role.
The role also helps support and manage #SBS Small Business Sunday (#SBS), including the #SBS annual event and opportunities throughout the year.
Supports the Group’s PR and Events functions as required.
The right candidate needs to bring energy, ideas and a creative approach to building content for communications and social media.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the development and maintenance of a high quality, positive and relevant profile for Theo across all media.
- To support personal TV, radio, event appearances by Theo with the production of high quality research and appropriate media coverage before, during and after the event.
- With the Communications Director, provide timely and appropriate responses to matters raised to optimise positive and minimise negative news and coverage.
- Maintain and use effective and efficient media monitoring tools and ensure relevant information is shared and circulated quickly and effectively, with proposed responses if appropriate.
- Be the “Social Media expert” for the business, reacting effectively to social media activity and driving the use of social media as a promotion, communication and monitoring tool.
- Ensure any brand issues are dealt with swiftly and appropriately.
- Help to update websites to ensure up to date.
Business and Political Research
- Identify and investigate business and political developments likely to be relevant and of interest to Theo and TPRG.
- Research business and political developments identified by Theo, the Communications Director, or other colleagues.
- Produce timely high quality and accurate research summarising key points, different opinions.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of political and business developments likely to be of relevant to TPRG.
- Research relevant markets, competitors, national and trade social media activity.
Small Business Sunday (#SBS)
Take responsibility for #SBS, developing and raising awareness of the programme and managing key tasks, specifically: -
- Being a key part of the #SBS Crew.
- Looking after the @TheSBS_Crew social accounts on twitter and instagram
- Managing a closed Facebook group for the winners.
- Responsibility for maintaining the #SBS website.
- Main point of contact with responding and dealing with SBS queries.
- Monitoring SBS social media groups, Facebook and Twitter, and respond to relevant discussions/questions posted as well as moderating posts.
- Knowledge of GDPR regulation re: data handling.
- Compiling and creating monthly newsletters to send out to the winners.
- Help to create content for the annual event.
- To take responsibility for and organise the #SBS annual event, and other #SBS activity from time to time.
- Generate a buzz and excitement around new store openings, trials and promotions through creative media campaigns and communications.
- Proactively contribute to the group events internal calendar with hands on support for and involvement in activity.
Charity and Sponsorship
- Promote sponsorship and charitable events via social media to maximise participation and fundraising.
- Work with fantastic partner brands and charities; ensure we work effectively and productively with them to ensure excellent results for all.
- Creativity in reaching out to the 4000+ TPRG business colleagues to ensure effective internal communication across the group.
- Help to create the quarterly internal magazine, the TPRG Telegraph and new TPRG Spotlight that highlights the big issues our colleagues should be aware of such as sustainable retail, Pride month and Black History Month.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Timely, high quality research relating to business and political activity, specific activity relevant to small businesses and retail.
- Create engaging social media across multi-platforms.
- Strong, professional and positive PR activity.
- Efficient and effective management of #SBS.
- A self-starter who has the ability to bring solutions and ideas to the table.
- A Team player who is able to juggle multiple tasks at any given time.
BENEFITS TO YOU
- Competitive salary.
- Opportunity for annual bonus
- Group discounts on all TPRG brands: Boux Avenue, Robert Dyas, Ryman and London Graphic Centre - not forgetting our regular brand sample sales in the office.
- Fantastic exposure to a high profile business leader and a wide variety of partners.
- Have a unique, and diverse, role that covers a multitude of interests from sport, charity, business, education, enterprise, retail, politics, current trends, events and a range of brands and partners, as part of a fun, engaged team.
- 25 days holiday per annum, plus bank holidays and an annual Christmas shopping day.
- Development in the role, and learning on the job.
- The chance to be part of a small team that makes a big difference.
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
Knowledge and experience
- Strong interest in current affairs, politics, media and PR and a desire to progress in this field.
- Ability to research business and political issues and summarise them concisely and accurately for use by individuals or businesses.
- Excellent understanding of how to use social media proactively and effectively with a keen eye on upcoming trends and how Theo and the brands can use them. A creative approach here would be preferable.
- Confident talking to all levels of the business, and senior high profile colleagues.
- The desire to work in a passionate and fast-paced environment, across a diverse range of subjects.
- A multi-tasker who can meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ideally 1-2 year’s experience in PR/media/communications background, whether in house or at an agency.
- Knowledge of G-Suite ideal, but not essential.
- Good with Canva, Google sheets/Xcel, Mail Chimp, Hootsuite (or equivalent) and social media platforms.
- A positive person who is full of energy, ideas and brings solutions to the table.
- Confident dealing with senior executives in the office and adept at creating strong relationships or across TPRG, and a team player.
- Passionate about what they do, with high levels of resilience and energy.
- Able to remain calm and focussed in a pressurised situation.
- Articulate and focused, with creative flair and the ability to think outside the box.
- Highly organised.
- Takes responsibility, gets involved and gets things done, with excellent attention to detail.
- Consistent and reliable.
- A common sense approach, and commercially astute.
- Innovative and has flair. We want to do things differently, and better. Ideas are always welcome.
- Confident with a good sense of humour!