About Centre for Cities
Centre for Cities is passionate about helping cities and towns up and down the country achieve their economic potential and improve the life chances of their residents. Whether it is employment, skills, housing or transport, we work closely with city leaders, government and business leaders to make sure our work is relevant, accessible and of practical use to cities.
We are looking for an individual to lead the Centre’s engagement with the press and media. This will involve leading on the press strategy for reports and campaigns, the development of media messaging and press releases in support of research, bringing senior and junior colleagues on board with your recommendations and cultivating existing and target press contacts.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate a track record of delivering quality press coverage in a relevant policy area. There will be opportunities to make a real contribution to the Centre’s impact on policy and practice. We’re looking for someone who is happy to muck-in and multitask, and who’ll make the most of the opportunities the Centre for Cities can offer.
- Generate press coverage for the Centre’s work in national, specialist, regional and online media.
- Play a key role in writing, editing and commenting on the Centre’s outputs from research publications, web content, podcasts, and corporate materials.
- Lead a strategy to position opinion pieces, articles and commentary from the Centre for Cities in the mainstream press.
- Edit and curate the Centre’s blog.
- Advise the research team and senior management team on press and media angles and issues.
- Develop and build relationships with key national and local reporters and media contacts to raise the Centre’s overall profile.
- Manage the Centre’s relationships with its external communications suppliers (including its media database and clippings agency).
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of the Centre’s media activities.
- Provide support across other External Affairs functions, including events, campaigns and public affairs, as required by the team.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering press and media campaigns in a relevant policy area.
- Ability to make complex research findings and policy recommendations newsworthy.
- Ability to take the lead on project managing press and media strategies.
- Experience of maintaining a strong network of media contacts.
- Strong team working skills and the ability to bring colleagues on board with a vision for a media campaign.
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good knowledge of IT, including Microsoft Office Products
- Commitment to the Centre for Cities’ mission, values and ethos
The closing date for applications is midnight on is Sunday 16th January 2022.
If you are interested in applying for this internship, please download the application form from https://www.centreforcities.org/about/careers/head-of-press-and-media-2/ and send to [email protected] or by post to HR, Centre for Cities, 9 Holyrood London SE1 2EL.
Please note to that we do not accept CVs.