Expertly manage the NDA’s relationship with the media, our social media and external digital presence, including websites and Gov.uk to enhance the reputation of the NDA and wider group. The post-holder will oversee the NDA’s media activity and press office, ensuring high quality balanced media coverage that enhances the delivery of messages and good news, and protects the reputation of the NDA and our wider group. They will work with colleagues to develop and execute innovative and impactful social media content, using insight, data and best practice to understand our digital audiences and develop the most effective strategies to deliver agreed outcomes.
The post holder will work with media relations and communications colleagues in the NDA subsidiaries, playing an important role to enhance and protect the wider reputation of the NDA group.
- Oversee a high performing NDA press office, maintain and develop relationships with key journalists and increase the flow of high-quality media, social media and web content to maximise the impact and reach of the NDA’s messages. Expertly respond to media enquiries and successfully handle issues to protect and enhance the reputation of the NDA and the wider NDA group. Work closely with colleagues in our Government sponsorship department to ensure the effective coordination of media content and activity. Prepared to be on call except during periods of annual leave.
- Develop and implement an effective media, social media and digital communications strategy, with best practice and innovation at their core, to improve the reach and impact of our messages on a national platform. Use insight, data and best practice to develop and implement effective strategies, including working with colleagues in the NDA group to co-develop group-level strategies that elevate our narrative and impact.
- Be a trusted advisor to the leadership team and other senior colleagues in the NDA and across the NDA group on issues, including threats to the NDA’s reputation, crises and sensitive areas of enquiries. Facilitate close and successful relationships with leaders, senior colleagues and media and digital teams in the NDA group to improve the delivery of integrated campaigns to enhance the impact on our stakeholders.
- Ensure the content and messaging communicated via the media, social media and other digital channels is accurate, high quality, reflects the positioning and policies of the NDA, wider group and Government, and protects and enhances our reputation and has the necessary impact.
- Provide leadership and direction to communications colleagues to improve and enhance learning, innovation and outcomes, delivered within budget.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required:
- Shares and demonstrates the NDA values of, respect, openness, collaboration, performance and creativity.
- Significant experience of working in the media sector public relations or media relations.
- Up to date and broad knowledge of the media (national, regional, specialist, online and broadcast). Experience of successfully implementing strategies and plans to enhance an organisation’s impact via social media and digital communications.
- Proven in developing and executing campaigns to influence behavioural and attitudinal change.
- Experienced in mitigating and handling crises and issues for organisations of a similar scale and complexity.
- Ability to be responsive and meet timescales and multiple demands.,
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal and the ability to produce persuasive content.
- Proven ability to use data and feedback to develop and enhance strategies to ensure success and drive innovation and improvement.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships and collaborate with others for shared success.
- Experience in leading and getting the best out of people, including those not under your direct leadership.
- A Degree or equivalent professional qualifications.
- Experience in communicating within government or the energy/nuclear sectors preferred, but not compulsory.
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best. At NDA, we are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We value the diversity of our people and actively seek to have a workforce that represents the rich diversity of the communities we support. Currently, we are underrepresented in some areas, and would particularly welcome applicants from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBTQ+ and candidates who have a disability.
NDA is a member of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all candidates who have a disability who meet all of the essential criteria for the vacancy. In cases where we have a high volume of candidates who have a disability who meet all of the essential criteria, we will interview the best candidates from within that group.
We are happy to talk flexible working.