About the Role
The LTA’s vision is “Tennis Opened Up” and the mission for all those working to support deliver the vision is to make tennis relevant, accessible, welcoming and enjoyable. The Corporate Affairs Team is responsible for protecting the reputation of the LTA and promoting its work to open up tennis in Britain. It is responsible for devising and delivering a communications strategy that builds trust and advocacy, shifts perceptions, encourages engagement with the LTA’s programmes, increases funding and builds coalitions of support for its work.
The Media Manager will have a proven track record in landing coverage across a broad range of media (sports, news, consumer, health, social affairs), taking a leading role in pitching stories to new audiences, as directed the Head of Media. They will play a key role in the LTA’s response to day-to-day media queries as part of the Press Office team. They will also devise and execute a regional media strategy, one that promotes the LTA’s work across Competitions, Participation, Performance and Inclusion to open tennis up.
The LTA, through its vision “Tennis Opened up”, is committed to creating a diverse environment where all colleagues feel included and a strong sense of belonging. We are proud to actively invite applications from all candidates who meet the essential criteria and are able to work in the UK, and we commit that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment irrespective of your ethnicity, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status, disability or age. We also operate a flexible working environment where all colleagues are able to discuss their working needs with their manager or the People Team at any time.
• Develop and deliver reputation management strategies with other internal teams to build understanding and advocacy of what the LTA is doing, with a good understanding how National Associations work cross-functionally.
• Take a lead role in promoting the following projects, integral to the LTA’s five year strategic plan: National Tennis Centre use, partnership announcements, Paralympics, inclusion, disability, Open Court and Serves programmes.
• Devise creative ways to promote the LTA’s professional players and build relationships with other spokespeople for British Tennis, in order to build support, encourage positive public engagement and promote the LTA’s work. Media Manager – October / 2021
• Lead on devising, managing and executing a regional media strategy as part of the LTA’s Communications strategy to agreed KPIs, to deliver results in a more targeted way, working closely with regional participation, competitions, facilities and performance teams.
• Work with the Head of Media to grow and maintain a network of media relationships with journalists from a range of relevant media outlets.
• At the LTA’s international events and international events where British teams are represented, work with the Head of Media on ways to constantly improve service to media stakeholders, as well as overseeing the accreditation process and when required, on-site operational delivery of the media centre.
• As part of a first class press office, prioritise and respond in a timely manner to all media queries, pitch proactive stories, devise content, update briefing documents and key messages, write press releases and monitor media coverage and breaking stories in real time, feeding this back to the Corporate Affairs team.
• Play a key role in any crisis and issues management, supporting the Head of Media and Head of Corporate Affairs.
• Work with the Head of Media on devising and delivering media coaching programme to key LTA staff, coaches or supported players (and their teams)
• Work closely with the Media Officer on helping them develop in their role.
• Bringing creative and unusual approaches to new story ideas, also working with and helping to manage agencies/contractors, to ultimately deliver positive media coverage of British Tennis
Key stakeholder relationships
• Corporate Affairs team • Marketing, Content and Brand Communications team • Performance and Participation teams • International Events and competitions team • Commercial team
External: • Key media from a wide range of outlets (sports news, health, consumer, lifestyle, education). • Agencies • National governing bodies such as Sport England, UK Sport and from other sports.