As a senior member of the communications team you will lead on all external communications activity to raise and protect the reputation of Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust (KMPT) and our vision of Brilliant Care through Brilliant People.
This includes communicating nationally and regionally about the services and work we deliver, our research and innovation, how we are an employer of choice, and our ongoing impact and future plans to transform and improve mental health across Kent and Medway. This role will be pivotal in achieving these ambitions.
Main duties of the role:
- To raise and support the profile, vision and priorities of KMPT to its external stakeholders
- To plan and deliver impactful, outcome-focused external communications campaigns and activities; creating messages, content, marketing and design materials and determining the best channels and tactics to reach a broad range of audiences
- To lead on recruitment marketing and communications activities
- To lead on media engagement and proactively work at a regional and national level to promote the Trust’s work and protect its reputation
- To provide communications advice and support to colleagues and build effective internal relationships to seek out opportunities to promote KMPT.
- To build effective working relationships with key stakeholders across the Kent and Medway Integrated Care System (ICS) and NHS, and supporting the Trust’s relationship with external stakeholders including service users, voluntary sector and local authorities.
- To lead on external stakeholder engagement activities and opportunities including events, stakeholder briefings and awards.
- To shape the production of external communications and publications.
- To establish new and effective ways for KMPT to communicate externally with its stakeholders.
- Drive creativity and innovation through our communications.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate communications strategies, campaigns and activities for KMPT, tailored to a range of audiences and stakeholders.
- Provide communications and marketing counsel to KMPT colleagues, including senior leaders.
- Manage the strategic co-ordination of the Trust’s communications and marketing activity – contributing to the proactive forward-planning for all channels. Identify opportunities, potential risks and interdependencies across organisational priorities.
- Work closely with the internal communications and engagement manager to ensure communications are integrated and complementary across internal and external audiences and channels.
- Lead on proactive and reactive media engagement. To include writing and editing press releases and statements, drafting briefings and preparing spokespeople, advising staff on media handling, overseeing media coverage and pre-empting reputational risks.
- Seek opportunities to achieve positive and accurate media coverage of the Trust in national, regional, local, specialist and trade publications.
- Oversee the monitoring of all media coverage, ensuring Trust staff are briefed on its content and the communications team’s involvement is clear.
- Support the director of communications and engagement and deputy director of communications in the event of crisis and reputational issues, including being an active member of our crisis communications team by preparing for and responding to incidents.
- Lead on the development, writing and promotion of corporate events, content and publications, including award submissions, annual report and public boards.
- Work with colleagues to promote KMPT work, strategically planning communications using an effective channel mix to achieve influence and outcomes with target stakeholders.
- Own KMPT’s external newsletters, ensuring their effectiveness at reaching and engaging with target audiences
- Oversee speaking events to ensure colleagues and senior leaders are sharing key messages with target audiences effectively and consistently
- Lead effective stakeholder relationships with communications counterparts to work collaboratively and keep them informed about our services and plans.
- Develop messaging for different audiences and stakeholders, including patients, staff, MPs, public members, media, GPs/clinical commissioning groups, local residents and community on a range of subjects and issues.
- Work with colleagues in the communications team to develop and maintain the Trust’s web and social media presence, and to raise the profile of KMPT’s work internally.
- Support delivery of KMPT’s communications strategy and ambitions to improve and modernise how we communicate externally and internally. Evaluate existing external communications to make recommendations for future approaches.
- Line management of the external communications officer and be a member of the communications senior leadership team.
- Deputise for the deputy director of communications or other managers when required.
- Commission graphic design for campaigns and other corporate communications. Ensure that all Trust information meets NHS corporate identity guidelines and the Trust’s style guide.
- Contribute to the production of Trust publications by researching, writing and editing articles and providing photographs.
- Creating content for digital channels including the website and social media channels, and monitoring engagement for campaigns.
- Evaluating external communications activity and reporting this to the director and senior colleagues.
- Manage budget and finance activities, including procurement and management of external suppliers