NEW Communications Lead position with the TNFD.
We are working with the TNFD on a fully exclusive basis and will be managing the whole interview process.
Applications close on Friday 26 August 2022.
The Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD) is an international sustainable finance initiative that was launched in June 2021. Following in the footsteps of the Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), the TNFD’s mission is to develop and deliver a risk management and disclosure framework for organisations to report and act on evolving nature-related risks, with the ultimate aim of supporting a shift in global financial flows away from nature-negative outcomes and toward nature-positive outcomes.
The Taskforce consists of 34 individual Taskforce Members representing financial institutions, corporates and market service providers with US$19.4trn in assets. The TNFD Co-Chairs, David Craig and Elizabeth Mrema, lead the Taskforce.
The Taskforce is supported by:
- The TNFD Forum, a consultative grouping of over 550 institutional supporters;
- The TNFD knowledge partners, a group of 16 leading scientific organisations and standard setting bodies;
- TNFD Consultation Groups, informal groups convened in select countries and regions to expand outreach and engagement;
- The TNFD Stewardship Council, which represents the founders and funders of the TNFD; and
- The TNFD Secretariat, which manages and coordinates the Taskforce, the TNFD Forum and the TNFD knowledge partners.
Funding for the TNFD is provided by governments, the UN, and philanthropic foundations, including the governments of Australia, the Netherlands, Switzerland and the United Kingdom; the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), the Global Environment Facility (GEF), and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The TNFD also benefits from pro-bono support offered by Taskforce member organisations, TNFD Forum organisations and governments.
About the role
We are now seeking a Lead, Communications to lead and co-ordinate our communications function. You will leading a small communications team. Working closely with the Executive Director and Engagement Leads, you will develop, manage and oversee our 12-month plan for the delivery and launch of the final framework. Planning for the next phase of the work of the TNFD is currently underway, and there may be the opportunity for this to develop into a longer-term role within the Secretariat.
To be successful you will have previous experience of managing complex multi-channel communications strategies and working in partnership through multiple different stakeholders. You will develop and deliver multi-faceted marcomms campaigns and engage with key stakeholders across public and private sector and be responsible for planning, managing and delivering multiple projects simultaneously.
Key to your role will be the development of integrated strategic communication plans that encompass a broad variety of channels and amplify the development and progression of the TNFD framework development, throughout the cycle of the consultation and beyond.
You should be able to demonstrate experience using a range of marketing-communications tools such as events, sponsorship, social media, media relations, government relations, analyst relations, digital engagement and advertising.
In addition we would expect you to have established networks and relationships with key reporters and editors within the sector, as well as potential advocates across financial services, policy, business and civil society.
The work of the TNFD is iterating and evolving all the time, so experience of dealing with ambiguity and uncertainty is key, as well as the ability to adapt and evolve the plan, taking into account new requirements and stakeholder expectations.
This is a truly unique and demanding opportunity to join a new global sustainable finance initiative attracting significant media and political attention. You will be part of an established globally distributed team, much like a start-up. By joining the team and supporting this work you will play a part of the global effort to tackle the climate and nature crisis.
- Delivery of the Strategic Communications Work program, including content development/quality control and oversight of delivery mechanisms (media relationships, website/social assets, sub- contractors, etc); Managing quality and timely comms deliverables under agreement with Global Canopy (website, social, design and other components); Management and oversight (quality assurance) of technical sub-contractors and consultants; Managing and mentoring of the Comms team resources; Production of external and internal comms content (e.g. Press releases, TPs and media messaging guidance, website/socials and other content agreed with ED); Lead counsel to Co-Chairs, Taskforce Members and ED on TNFD comms strategy and media/PR matters; External event idea generation, design and delivery coordination; and Relationship management - Journalists, media partners, Comms leads at Taskforce Members, Knowledge Partners and Donors.
This is an exciting and fast paced role, and you must be willing to work flexibly and take on additional duties, as required.
Skills and experience
To flourish in this demanding role, you will be an experienced communications professional with a strong track record. You must demonstrate ability to quickly build strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders and provide clear leadership to the communications function. You will need to quickly gain the trust of a wide range of global stakeholders. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are critical, as is an ability to work productively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
You must be able to demonstrate credible experience in managing communications for a complex multi-stakeholder international programme.
- Previous experience of managing a multi-channel communications strategy and delivery plan for a complex programme Experience of working with financial markets Experience of working in an international context with multiple stakeholders Capable of handling a range of communications priorities and events within a set budget, with a focus on quality and project follow-through Experience of dealing with reactive communications challenges Experience of managing a wide-ranging team of consultants and partner organisations Ability to manage Strong communication and influencing skills - is diplomatic and skilled at managing different stakeholder groups Creative flair and ability to translate technical content into innovative and engaging campaigns Excellent written and oral communication skills and attention to detail, with a proven capacity to translate information and big ideas into actionable plans. A thorough understanding of social media best practice A strong independent work ethic - ability to flourish in a dynamic and demanding work environment as a member of a high-performing, globally distributed team Adaptable and comfortable working in a fast-paced, agile, start-up environment Understanding of the landscape of sustainable finance / climate change and relevant global initiatives
How to apply
TNFD is working with Premier Resourcing UK Ltd on the recruitment of this position. For any questions or to apply for this role, please send your CV and cover letter to:
Emily Huelin, Principal Consultant – Head of PR & Communications Team
t: +44 (0)2039 841 083