Public Affairs & External Relations Lead - 044123
Position Type - Full Time
Salary: £70,000 - £75,000 plus excellent benefits package
Location: London Victoria Station House and other locations as required (Hybrid)
Contract Type: TfL, Permanent Band 4
Hybrid working within this role enables a balance of 50 per cent of time split between the office and home over a 4-week period. Hybrid working arrangements can evolve subject to business requirements.
We’re the property company with big plans for the capital.
For 160 years, Transport for London has kept London moving. It has been one of the city’s biggest innovators. Places for London, the TfL property company, is its latest innovation. At Places for London, we are here to unlock more of the potential of TfL land and create a greener, kinder, and more connected London for everyone.
We have been home to over 1,500 businesses in stations and railway arches and on London’s high streets for decades. And now, we’re working to release more of the untapped opportunity in TfL’s property portfolio and curate more of the places that Londoners need to thrive.
With 5,500+ acres, stretching across almost every borough, TfL is already one of London’s largest landowners. At Places for London, we’re on a mission to help it become one of the most impactful too.
We are unashamedly focused on how we deliver for London, not just what we deliver. At Places for London, we celebrate our differences and uniqueness, but our public spirit and passion for this city unites us. It’s a place where you’ll be free to express yourself, have the chance to shape your own development and take pride in being part of our team. The energy our people bring is unmatched, and each and every one of us has the opportunity to change this city for the better.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a strategic communications professional with experience of operating in a fast-paced, energetic and exciting environment, who is capable of overseeing all engagement and consultation activity across Places for London. Through effective engagement of key internal stakeholders, including senior management across Places for London and TfL, as well as key external political stakeholders, such as the Mayor, Deputy Mayors and politicians from across the capital, you will enable Places for London to deliver its strategic objectives.
You will develop and be responsible for a joined-up and all-encompassing stakeholder and external affairs strategy, providing expert, forward-looking advice, and counsel to senior leaders.
Supported by a dedicated team, you will be overall responsible for overseeing all of the community, customer, and wider stakeholder engagement initiatives that support Places for London’s strategic goals – such as the delivery of Places for London’s homes target and ongoing improvements to the Places for London estate. The team is well-renowned and respected both inside and outside of the organisation. We are looking to welcome somebody who can bring diverse, creative ideas and innovative ways of thinking, so we can work together to successfully build and enhance Places for London’s reputation.
- Providing counsel to the Director and CEO Places for London, shaping, advising and enabling execution of business objectives, driving successful delivery of the Mayor’s agenda by Places for London.
- Joining up, integrating and ensuring cohesion across Places for London of all public affairs and external relations activity, ensuring communication of a common well-aligned message, quickly and efficiently.
- Identifying, developing, and maintaining productive relationships and partnerships with public affairs audiences, political parties, special advisors, local government leaders, regional transport agencies, the UK devolved administrations, think tanks and business communities (London, national and international).
- Devising a stakeholder mapping exercise for the Places for London Director and CEO and implementing a programme of engagement to ensure the Delivery Business agenda is communicated effectively across TfL and externally.
- Supporting and furthering the work of senior colleagues within Places for London to achieve third-party advocacy for key strategic initiatives from the widest possible range of sectors and interested parties.
- Ensuring collaborative working relationships with relevant teams across TfL to ensure there is effective integration and cohesion to help achieve TfL's goals.
- Lead a small team, who you will enable to support effective relationship management for senior teams in different parts of Places for London’s business, facilitating access as required to the services within the Public Affairs and External Relations team.
- Providing leadership within Places for London with stakeholder intelligence, based on meetings, relationship-building and monitoring, and advising them on contact with these audiences to ensure effective and joined-up communications.
- Interface and collaborate with the CEO and Director Places for London and senior team as well as with external stakeholders to ensure all interests are reflected, build third-party advocacy and promote TfL's record of delivery.
Support, advise and build collaborative relationships with the Director and CEO Places for London and their senior team as well as the leadership team of Customer and Strategy.
Lead contact within Places for London for TfL’s Communications and Corporate Affairs Directorate, which includes teams such as the Press Office.
Build collaborative relationships with the external stakeholder community to ensure all interests are reflected, build third-party advocacy, and promote Places for London’s record of delivery.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, working with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to build strong collaborative working relationships with senior colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with an ability to work and think effectively in high-pressure situations.
- Politically astute and sound awareness of the key policy issues affecting transport and real estate decisions in London.
- Excellent commercial awareness and financial acumen and an ability to achieve value for money.
- Excellent presentation and organisational skills.
- Mentoring, coaching and leading teams.
- Evidence of an understanding of the complexities of high-profile public sector organisations operating in highly complex political and institutional environments.
- Understanding of local government procedures and culture. Understanding of planning law.
- Knowledge of developments and emerging best practices in real estate, housing placemaking and transport in the UK and globally.
- Knowledge of consultation and engagement processes and techniques.
- Educated to degree level or with relevant experience.
- Proven track record in government and stakeholder relations, including an excellent understanding of the workings of Parliament and national, regional and local government.
- Experience of strategic campaigning (preferably with an excellent understanding of transport issues) with an excellent understanding of the key stakeholder sectors covered by the role.
- Good record of conceptual and strategic thinking.
- Experience of managing teams.
- Excellent record of delivering results on time and within budget.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all the essential criteria.
We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
Please apply using your CV and a two-page covering letter. PDF format preferred and do not include any photographs or images.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 5 November 2023 at 23:59.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow.
Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme.
- Free travel for you on the TfL network.
- Reimbursement of 75% of the cost of a standard class Ticket for National Rail travel from home or 75% reimbursement on a 28-day flexi ticket.
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays.
- TfL is committed to work-life balance, operating a hybrid working approach where business and role requirements allow.
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional).
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme.
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers.
- Discounted Eurostar travel.
Apply link: https://tfl.taleo.net/careersection/external/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=044123